Feeds, Feedburner and Figuring the Whole Thing Out…

This morning I spent some time trying to fix the “feed.” Cleverly I had created a Feedburner feed in an attempt to fix the RSS and Atom feeds… and Blogline feeds so that they all flow into the same place. Oddly, I only made it worse.

Bloglines says I have 47 subscribers, but Feedburner insists there are only 15. I kept thinking maybe I had a typo somewhere so I double checked all of the places I’d entered the feed.

Still not sure I have it all the way fixed, but at least when I try to go to the Atom feed, or the RSS feed, it brings up content. Bloglines, well, I’m not sure how that one is working. I have it set to the Atom feed which should switch to the Feedburner feed… but it’s not doing it. Or maybe it only updates every other day or something.

I have made a commitment to myself to learn one new thing each week about blogging/social media/ vlogging/ feeds/ websites etc. This week I’m going to tackle the whole feed thing.

I’ve read the Feedburner newsletter and the Bloglines Blog, but would love something that really makes it dummy simple.

I like the Bloglines Beta by the way… reminds me a little of Todd And’s Kitchen Sink or Stickyfigure’s PageFlakes directories. Pretty cool.

Author: Chris Brown

Business owner operating a marketing consulting firm. Online Publisher. Keynote Speaker.

4 thoughts on “Feeds, Feedburner and Figuring the Whole Thing Out…”

  1. Chris, you’ll want to replace the URLs for your Atom and RSS feeds with the URL that Feedburner gave you. Up in your header, you have a couple lines of code that indicate each feed:


    The URL included in each line should be your Feedburner URL, not the default URLs. This’ll help you get the feeds cleaned up so that everything is going through Feedburner and being tracked by their stats service.


  2. Matt:
    When I go into the source code from the view tab, I can see what you mean.

    But when I got to my template and try to edit, the blogger software has a short cut routine to this part. In other words, I don’t think I can get to it.

    What I was hoping to do was have feedburner re-route both the atom and the rss stuff into one place and make it work.

    Unfortunately I started with Blogger because it seemed the easiest, but now it has too much control. Unless there is another way to get to the code that I don’t know about.

    Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.


  3. Chris not sure if this is what you are talking about. but check out point #4 in this post:

    That shows you how to re-direct your feeds so that anytime someone accesses your atom or rss version of your blog’s feed, it will go back to the feed you burned through Feedburner. That gives you a MUCH more accurate idea of how many times your feed is being accessed. I did it for The Viral Garden and my number of feed readers according to Feedburner doubled overnight. It won’t change how many subscribers Bloglines says you have, but it should fix things from Feedburner’s end.

    Good luck!

  4. Mack:
    Thank you for reminding me about that post! I remember reading it when it first came out and being very interested in point number 8 about the headline.

    I think the new feed is working now. It says I have 451 readers (from 29 yesterday) and 71 on Bloglines (from 15 yesterday) — so something has changed.

    Still not sure I’ll be able to make the headline feature work, I saw that comment about “browser enabled” so it may take more work.

    Meanwhile, although the RSS and Atom code is still embeded in the blogger source code, it appears that they are redirected.

    Thanks again Mack for all the encouragement you’ve given me since I started blogging!! I voted for your seminar at the SXSW next year. Hopefully you and Dell have a packed house!!

Comments are closed.